Since from the inception of “computer” Microsoft Windows plays an important role in developing virtual world. The foundation of windows computers is its easy design and simple user interface. Users can easily learn windows in one or two sittings. With the new versions of windows, Microsoft continuously changes its user interface to give more advance features to its users.
However performance in windows computers is also the key to its proper functioning and maintenance. As resulted many users always tries to secure and clean their computers for any technical issues.
In this article we are going to understand how we can speed up our windows computer by following simple techniques, which comes with windows itself at no extra cost. Users can easily increase the performance of his/her windows computers within minutes.
Note: Below mentioned techniques are applicable to any windows versions. User Interface might varies in different window’s versions.
Speed up your computer with below mentioned techniques
i) Update your computer regularly:
By getting latest updates from Microsoft help center any user can easily increase the performance of his/her computer. These updates protects our computer from any technical issue with operating system and other Input/Output devices. Window’s users must turn on their update notification to sync with Microsoft help center.
How to turn on Microsoft updates ? (For Window 7 / Vista / Ultimate)
To check computer for latest updates you need to follow below mentioned steps:
- Right click on “My Computer” icon
- Select ‘properties‘ to open information panel of computer.
- Click on ‘Window Update‘ option on bottom left corner of the screen.
- After clicking on ‘Window Update‘ you can check latest updates for your respective window’s version.
ii) Clean your hard disk regularly: (For Window 7 / Vista / Ultimate)
When we boot our window’s computer then its operating system starts required system services for proper processing of system. Users need to take care of few things while working on window’s version such as always try to remove temporary files,unused system applications from your hard disk. You can also minimize the possibility of any hard drive related errors by cleaning hard drive regularly.
How to clean hard drive
You can clean your hard disk by following below mentioned steps:
- On your desktop double click on “My Computer“.
- Now Click on any drive which you wish to clean, In this case we take C: drive as an example: so now right click on C: drive and select ‘properties‘.
- Now click on “Disk Cleanup” option to start clean up process.
- After clicking on this option, window will take some time to analyze disk cleanup process and will show you a another dialog box. In this dialog box you can select required check-box to clean from hard drive.
iii) Maintain your hardware:
A computer works with the compatible configuration of processor,RAM & Hard disk. You can also check your Windows Experience Index for computer performance. The Windows Experience Index measures the capability of your computer’s hardware and software configuration and expresses this measurement as a number called a ‘base score‘. As hardware speed and performance improve, higher score ranges will be enabled. Presently the score ranges from 1.0 to 7.9.
How to check Windows Experience Index for your computer ?
You can check Windows Experience Index for your computer by following below mentioned steps:
- Click on start menu and type “Performance Information and Tools” in search box.
- After selecting “Performance Information and Tools” you will find another dialog box with component rating.
- Now here you can see Component with its Subscore. If you find your computer Subscore below 3 then it means you might need to change few hardware of your computer such as RAM,Processor etc.
- You can also re-run the assessment to evaluate your Windows Experience Index by clicking on “Re-run the assessment” option.
iv) Control start-up programs: (For Window 7 / Vista / Ultimate)
There are lots of unwanted applications which loads-up while booting. We must control these unwanted programs to minimize any technical issues with computer.
How to limit unwanted applications at start-up:
- Click on the start button and type “System Configuration“.
- After above step you will find a dialog box with few tabs. Now click on “Startup” tab.
- Under this tab you can uncheck the desired application which you don’t to start automatically at start-up.
- After checking and unchecking process, click on “OK” and restart your computer.
v) Delete Unused applications: (For Window 7 / Vista / Ultimate)
You can also delete any unused or unwanted applications from your control panel to clean your computer. Always use licensed software to protect your computer against any compatibility issues.
How to delete unused applications ?
- Click on the start button and type “Control Panel” in search box.
- You will see a control panel of your computer with installed applications. Here you can uninstall any unused applications to clean your computer.
Note: Users are advised to run less programs at the same time on your computer. You can also close unused applications to release resource from memory, which further increase computer speed.
Uploaded by: Author